This bar is bittersweet in more ways than one. It’s the last bar that my parents brought back from their Israel trip, and while I enjoyed the Parra white chocolate almond bar, I’m not surprised that this bar hit the sweet spot.
Here’s some more chocolate that my parents brought back from their trip to Israel, and man, I had to do some research just to identify it. I nearly missed the only English letters on the wrapper: the main website for the Strauss group, which is in Hebrew. Flipping to the English version of the site, I dug down through their complete brand selection until I recognized the cow logo from the wrapper: it’s their Parra chocolate brand. As noted before, Strauss’ chocolate is not Fair Trade certified, but it is kosher, and the Strauss company has its own commitment to sustainable practices and sourcing. Yeah, but how’s the chocolate, right?
Brand: Splendid Flavor: Dark Chocolate Cacao Content: 70% Rating: 4/5, Liked it a lot Welcome back to another Splendid chocolate that my parents sent me from their trip to Israel. That’s the name of the brand. It’s Splendid. And it’s splendid! It’s a delicious bar with a firm, snappy, slightly grainy texture. It’s strong like a cup […]
Splendid’s orange? Pretty good chocolate. It’s got a strong orange flavor: tart, acidic, and sharp as an 85% cacao bar. It’s also got some weight to it, with a solid, slightly grainy texture. It’s a bit harsher than Theo’s orange chocolate, which remains my favorite orange, but it’s a tasty bar in its own right.
For the most part, I’m not really into fruit in my chocolate, but I know some of you on my Patreon are, so I tried out Endangered Species’ cranberry-almond chocolate to thank you guys for your support. And to my surprise, I couldn’t really taste the cranberry! It’s hard to notice even if you’re looking for it, but it accents the bitterness of the chocolate with just a little tart flavor. The almond bits provide a little variety and crunch in the texture, and all in all, it’s Endangered Species; it’s good and dark. It’s not my favorite bar that Endangered Species offers (it’s hard to beat the chocolate-upon-chocolate of their cacao nibs bar), but even if you’re not a fruit-in-your-chocolate person, you may well enjoy this bar.
Holy wow that is some good chocolate. I’m not normally a fruit-in-my-desserts kinda guy, so when I put this cherry bar in my mouth and found it crazy amazing, I was as surprised as anyone. From bite one, you’re getting the tasty texture of firm dark chocolate with crunchy cherry bits. It’s deliciously sugary, slightly tart, and sharp enough to please dark chocolate junkies like me. Oh, Tony’s Chocolonely Cherry Meringue Dark Chocolate with 51% Cacao, I think I’m in love.
Vosges knows how to make a good chocolate. If they can make me, a not-especially-caramel guy, say to himself, “Man, that’s some good caramel,” they’ve got to be doing something right. Their dulce de leche bar here has a firm outside and gooey caramel center, providing a tasty texture change-up. There’s a bit of a dark, salty bite to it, but more than anything it’s just a sweet, milky bar. It’s enjoyable, luxurious, and it goes down easy.
Green & Black’s Milk Chocolate with Almonds bar is 37% cacao, and I’m pretty sure the other 63% is almonds. Just look at this thing!
Generally, I’ve found that coconut doesn’t have much flavor to it unless it’s in large quantities, like a Mounds bar. Eating Theo’s coconut dark chocolate is very much unlike eating a Mounds bar.
What’s better than chocolate? Chocolate with more chocolate.